Buckie Thistle 0 - 0 Formartine United

(Won 4 - 2 on pens.)
Aberdeenshire Shield - 2nd Round
Monday, December 2nd, 2019, 8:00 PM at Victoria Park, Buckie
Attendance: 300
Referee: Liam Duncan
Buckie Thistle v Formartine United, Dec 2nd 2019, Victoria Park, Buckie
Buckie Thistle Formartine United 

None. None.

Team Managers
Graeme Stewart Paul Lawson

Starting Eleven
Daniel Bell
Shaun Wood
Hamish Munro
Mark McLauchlan
Jack Murray
Craig Cowie
Andrew MacAskill
Kevin Fraser
Sam Urquhart
Steven Ross
Kyle MacLeod
Kevin Main
Johnny Crawford
Darryn Kelly
Stuart Smith
Craig McKeown
Stuart Anderson
Graeme Rodger
Liam Strachan
Daniel Park
Garry Wood
Aaron Norris

Kieran Adams
Joe McCabe
Sam Robertson
Callum Murray
Scott Adams
Lewis MacKinnon
Lee Herbert
Errol Watson
Michael Clark
Paul Lawson
Wayne Mackintosh
Conor Gethins
Kieran Lawrence
Scott Lisle

Scott Adams for Craig Cowie (65)
Sam Robertson for Kevin Fraser (70)
Scott Lisle for Liam Strachan (65)
Conor Gethins for Aaron Norris (75)

None. Graeme Rodger
Garry Wood

Red Cards
None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Kevin Main (GK) 69 apps -
Johnny Crawford 140 apps11 goals
Darryn Kelly 11 apps1 goal
Stuart Smith 252 apps24 goals
Craig McKeown 136 apps20 goals
Stuart Anderson 226 apps34 goals
Graeme Rodger 209 apps71 goals
Liam Strachan 19 apps -
Daniel Park 39 apps10 goals
Garry Wood 166 apps79 goals
Aaron Norris 44 apps3 goals
Conor Gethins (sub) 128 apps46 goals
Scott Lisle (sub) 25 apps13 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Liam Strachan (21 years 26 days)
Oldest Player:Kevin Main (37 years 263 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 6 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Liam Strachan (21 years 26 days)
Oldest Player:Kevin Main (37 years 263 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 348 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


This was a dour, leaden struggle between two sides struggling to regain the form that had previously propelled them to rather more sparkling performances than the current and recent form of either has yielded. It was the quarter final stage of the Aberdeeenshire Shield, held by United, played at the second time of asking following a postponement for a waterlogged surface 6 days previously. In the circumstances a still, relatively dry evening and not too heavy pitch produced conditions for a higher standard of play than either side attained.

Buckie were the more adventurous over the first 45 but United, thanks to another goalkeeping masterclass by Kevin Main and some doughty defending by a back four of Crawford, Smith, McKeown and Kelly held on in the face of at times quite sustained Buckie pressure until beginning to gain a slight edge in territory and possession in the later stages of the game.

MacAskill was pulling most of the strings for Buckie and emerged as the dominant midfield force for most of the first half. Ten minutes in he slung a left to right cross over to Fraser who teed the ball up for Urquhart who screwed the ball wide right from about 10 yards out. Ten minutes of intermittent Buckie pressure later he drove a thirty yard free kick into the heart of the Formartine defence. It rebounded or was scrambled out of immediate danger but only to Fraser whose drive forced Main to block the ball before gathering it at the base of his right upright.

The nearest to a goal in that half came was in the 31st minute when MacAskill broke through the inside left channel to off-load a vicious low twenty yarder that spun off the inside of Main's right post before being scrambled away for an corner.

Formartine, relying on the counter attack, made relatively few incursions into Buckie territory and generally eschewing midfield build up, depended on longish balls up to Wood. One such led to a corner on the right which Anderson delivered to the big striker but former Formartine stalwart “Squish” Munro hoofed the ball off the goal line and Buckie pressure resumed at the other end.

The second period saw a livelier United and after a brief spell of pressure in and around the Buckie box, a goalbound drive by Norris rebounded off Watson. Ref Duncan, never one to eschew the dramatic, decreed a handball and awarded the penalty. After an inordinate delay Wood stepped up and struck the ball to Bell's left, possibly not far enough and the keeper blocked it and grabbed the rebound to boot.

No goal but it was enough to encourage both sides to press for one and the game developed a more end to end pattern. United carved open the home defence ten minutes later when Wood got one on one with Bell but snatching at his shot hit it high, wide and anything but handsome. Right at the death, sub Gethins with only Bell to beat from the left corner of the 6 yard box, hoiked the ball over the top.

The game went straight to penalties. This was slightly delayed by the disappearance of home keeper Bell into the tunnel before emerging to face the shoot out. After Crawford confidently lashed home United's first, Main superbly saved Buckie's opening two from Urquhart and Robertson. Rodger, Anderson and Gethins all buried theirs and although Lisle's effort rebounded off Bell's boot it was United who progress to face Fraserburgh in the semi final.

Match report by Colin Keenan